A Goldfish has various body-color patterns, such as golden, pink, bronze and yellow with a shiny skin. These fish are found in pure water only. A goldfish is very popular for being the most desirable fish for aquariums. These fish can prove to be a very good pet for humans due to their friendly nature. As per scientific classification, a Goldfish belongs to the kingdom Animalia, phylum Chordata, class Actinopterygii, family Cyprinidae, genus Carassius and species C. auratus. The Goldfish first originated in China many years back and, later on, was introduced in UK, Europe and its surrounding areas in the year 1962. In the earlier period, only the imperial family could keep Goldfish as their pet, but later on any common man can have it as well.
- A very interesting and shocking fact about Goldfish is that it does not have stomach. Isn't it amazing? Yes, that's why you are suggested to always give your pet Goldfish a diet that can be easily digestible.
- Also, you have to make sure that you are giving your Goldfish diet in small chunks per day instead of feeding them all at once.
- Remember, the more you feed, the more your aquarium needs to be clean since Goldfish generates a bulk of waste.
- The goldfish is quite sharp in terms of memory and differentiating between various sounds, shapes, colors and faces.
- Their memory time period is up to three months.
- Under proper care and absolute maintenance the Goldfish can grow till its maximum size that is up to six inches and it weighs about 3 kg.
- The eyesight of a Goldfish is really powerful.
- They can see the ultra-violet and infra-red lights without any hassle.
- Since these fish have no eye lids, therefore they sleep with their eyes open.
- These fish don't like darkness and they love to live in light.
- Another interesting fact about Goldfish is that these fish need sunlight to generate pigment, and if they are kept away from light in some dark place, their color changes to dull grey.
- Goldfish are basically cold blooded animals and their digestion mechanism depends completely on the temperature of surrounding water.
- They like to live in a tropical or semi-tropical environment.
- The best temperature in which Goldfish can feel easy is 400 F at minimum and 900 F at maximum.
- A wild Goldfish lives in ponds, lakes and other watery habitats.
- Talking about the diet, they like to have insects, plankton, detritus, worms, mites, larvae, lettuce, plants, peas, other amphibians and reptiles.
- They are very friendly in nature and can prove to be a very good pet to humans.
- These animals like to live in groups and are capable of breeding relatively fast as compared to other fishes.
- These fish are very sensitive in terms of cleanliness.
- If you have ultimately decided to have Goldfish in your aquarium at home, you must clean it on regular basis, otherwise, they would die or will not grow much.
Types of Goldfish
When it comes to Goldfish types, there are more than five hundred species that can be seen everywhere across the globe. Few of their species are listed as Black Moor, Bubble Eye, Celestial Eye, Comet, Common, Fantail, Lionchu, Lionhead, Oranda, Panda Moor, Pearlscale, Pompom, Ranchu, Ryukin, Shubunkin, Telescope Eye, Tosakin, and Veiltale. There are many other types of Goldfish as well that can prove to be a good pet for humans. Whatever the type of Goldfish is, it is for sure that they all need a clean and tidy environment to grow and live longer. That is why these aquatic organisms are better known as pure water fish.
Goldfish Life Span
The life span of a Goldfish totally depends on the way it is treated and maintained in your aquariums and ponds. These fish are expected to complete a life time of almost ten years at minimum in clean environment under complete care. Some of the factors that need to be taken care of while giving Goldfish a good environment to live are size of your tank or aquarium, water quality, feeding spans, water changing activity, water treatment with chlorine, food variations, taking care of their friendly nature, oxygen availability and environmental expansion. All these factors are really important when you want your Goldfish to live a happy and longer life. If you do not treat them well, the brightly-colored Goldfish can die even in the first month in your aquarium.
You can find a large number of Goldfish pictures on the internet. These multi-colored, attractive and alluring watery creatures attract everyone with their bright colors and friendly nature. You can get as many pictures of these lovely organisms as you want from the internet.