The birds that are considered as the symbol of love, peace and harmony are one of my favorites. That's why whenever people see any couple, they call them love birds, and by birds they mean dove birds. Also in Christianity the dove birds have a kind of Holy importance rendered to them. Being such a cute creature, they can attract so many of humans towards their peaceful and friendly nature. Dove bird is from the pigeon's family and shares so many good qualities with them. Pigeons are also one of the very friendly creatures in this world. Coming back to the doves, these birds can be very easily found in the open agriculture areas.
Facts about Doves
As far as facts about doves are concerned, these are numerous.
- Concerning dove diet, when you see doves eating the dropped seeds, in reality, they are not eating it they are collecting them in their esophagus to digest them after some time.
- Do you know that dove has a superb nature in terms of getting adjusted in almost every kind of environment? Yes, they are therefore found everywhere except the truly harsh areas, like desert and Antarctica.
- Mostly they live happily in woodlands and tropical forests.
- Coming to the reproduction, the female dove birds mostly lay two eggs at a time.
- It is very rare when it lays one or a group of eggs at any one time.
- When it comes to feeding the baby doves, it is a joint responsibility of male and female dove birds.
- The male and female dove birds are mates for lifetime and are very good companions of each other.
- Do you know that dove and pigeons are so popular and the life of both types of birds is at risk?
- They have already started declining and there are many reasons for their so rapid decline. It can be hunting; it can be the loss of habitat, and so on.
- Whatever the reason is, people should do something to promote the species of dove birds and the pigeons since they both are the peaceful birds.
- People also call dove birds as the mourning birds due to the different sounds they make, but it is up to you whatever the name you give to such sounds.
- It is not one of the dove facts that they produce these sounds as if they are sad or mourning at something.
- Do you know only the male birds make the woo-hoo sound?
- Such sounds produced by the male are only a signal to its female mate bird for mating or anything else, but they are not mourning that's for sure.
Types of doves
There is a very wide variety of these birds under types of doves. On the first go, the doves are categorized as domestic doves and the wild doves. Further there are lots of other dove types under each of these categories. This post lists some of them to enhance your knowledge and information, such as:
- White dove
- Diamond dove
- Peaceful dove
- Picui ground dove
- Pygmy ground dove
- Socorro dove
- Tambourine dove
- Vinaceous Ringdove
- White crowned pigeon
- White winged pigeon
- Zebra dove
- Mountain witch
- Passenger pigeon
- Key West Quail dove
- Blue crowned pigeon
- Cape dove
- Golden heart dove
There are so many other types of doves as well, but whatever the type is, the dove birds are everyone's favorite. You can say these birds are all season birds. Everyone likes to have them as pets in their homes. These are so friendly creatures, and you can give your kids the gift of two dove birds so that they get familiarized with them in a fun loving manner.
Since I possess a great love for doves, my favorite pastime is to collect good quality and appealing pictures of doves. Therefore, I am just crazy about searching dove pictures. I often download differently styled photos of these birds to display them at my system's desktop. I keep on changing them frequently, as when I get bored of just looking at the same picture for many times, I go for the other. It not only refreshes my love for them but also gives a great boost to my mood while working on my system and, above all, it keeps me fresh all the time.