A starfish is also known as sea star and it is the cutest fish of its own kind. It is found in multiple colors like red, orange, blue, purple, pink, yellow, and so on. These fish are very attractive and appealing to the fish lovers. These brainless and bloodless fish can make you real crazy with their alluring, stunning and bright colors.
Types of Starfish
As far as types of starfish are concerned, there are almost two thousand species of this creature that can be easily identified. Though there is a wide range of starfish, but the most common and best known are sea stars, sunstars, brittle stars and basket stars. Among the above stated starfish types, the sea stars are the ones that are so far thought of as a real starfish. These fishes are categorized into the class Asteroidea.
The other type of starfish is sunstars and these fishes are also belong to the same classAsteroidea. These fishes are called as sunstars because they depicts the image of a sun that is throwing rays in different directions.
The brittle stars are also known as the serpent stars and belong to the class Ophiuroidea. These fish are further categorized as daisy brittle star, burrowing brittle star and long arm brittle star.
The last type is the basket stars. These fish are called so because they can stretch their arms to form a shape like a basket.
Facts about Starfish
- One of the very interesting starfish facts is that if you cut them down into many pieces then each and every piece is capable of forming a new starfish. Isn't this fact freaky and one of its own kind?
- Another interesting fact about starfish is that even though they don't have eyes, they can still differentiate between dark and light. Again isn't it scary and sounds magical?
- Yeah, it is true that a starfish can sense light and various kinds of shapes with the help of an eye spot that is there at the end of their arms.
- Starfishes can have at maximum twelve arms and on average five arms in total.
- Starfish are basically more like animal than fish.
- They don't possess fins, gills and they don't even move like fish.
- They are known as Echinoderms and are categorized under the phylum Echinodermata.
- These fishes behave more like sea urchins, sand dollars and sea cucumbers.
- Do you know that starfish have two stomachs that help them in the digestion of the food in a better way?
- The female starfish can lay more than million eggs at one time and the very interesting fact is that these fish can alter their gender whenever they want. That's really amazing and stunning as well.
- The colorful skin of these fish helps them in camouflaging to deceive their hunters and attackers.
- Also the structure of their skin is of a type that ensures their protection from their muggers and invaders.
- For movement purposes, starfish use their tube like feet that lie on the inner side of their body.
- These tubes help these creatures to crawl easily and quickly under the ocean surface.
- These tubes are just like suckers that are used for moving.
- On average a sea star or a starfish can live for the maximum of 35 years with exceptions as well.
Where do Starfish Live?
Concerning the starfish habitat, they are heavily found in oceans. They live deeper in oceans and cannot be seen on the upper part except if you are lucky enough to see one that comes by chance on the sea shore, otherwise, that may not be the case. They are mostly found in the Pacific Ocean, also known as Indo-Pacific Ocean.
You can collect as many colourful starfish pictures as you want from the internet. These wonderful creatures would surely beautify your PC once you place their pictures on your desktop as wallpapers. You will just feel great if you can see them all the time on your screens. The bright colors of these fishes are really refreshing and simply boost up your mood. Therefore, download the images of these creatures from some reliable source to prevent your system from any possible kinds of threats as well.