What Are Cats?
Cat is the most friendly and pleasant kind of pet around. There are many types of cats some are grey color, some are brown, some are white, some are black while some have mix colors. Most of them have soft fur on their body. They have sharp teeth and claws that they use to grip their prey during the hunting process. Cats possess very clear eyesight and are capable enough to see even in dull light. Not only they have a good eyesight but they have a very good hearing sense as well. They can hear the voice that a human ear cannot listen. For more cat information, just keep on reading the remainder of the article as well.
Facts about Cats
- The scientific name of housecat consists of two parts, i.e. Felis catus where the former refers to their genus and the latter is the name of their particular species.
- Cats were first introduced in Australian continent, in the era of European settlement there. However, there is also a possibility that they were brought there by the Dutch shipwrecks in the 17th century.
- Classified under the Phylum Chordata of Kingdom Animalia, housecats are mammals that give birth to a fully mature young one, called kitten, and feed them with the milk, a highly nutritious fluid secreted by their mammary glands.
- There is a wide range of cats, some of them can be easily seen as pets in houses and the others can only be seen in jungles as wild animals. The cats inhabiting forests are known as wild cats which are of four types, namely, Cheetah Cats, Jaguar Cats, Leopard Cats and Puma Cats.
- All wild cats are termed as good hunters. The very first wild cat species introduced ever was cheetah cat. This type of cat can run with a speed of almost 96 km/h.
- A jaguar cat is mostly seen near water and is mainly found in the forests of South America. It has been discovered that this type of cat can swim really well in ponds and other water bodies.
- A leopard cat is found in deserts and forests of Africa and Asia that can climb a tree very easily and most of the time it is found resting on the tree branches.
- One of the puma cat facts is that it is the biggest of all cats and is found in North of America. The amazing fact about this type of cat is that these cats prefer to live alone.
- Besides the wild ones, another type of the carnivorous mammal is the black-footed cat deriving its name from the colour of its feet. This is considered as the smallest cat in the world with the maximum body weight of about 2.45 kg and head-to-body-length reaching up to 43 cm in males while just 36.9 centimeter in female cats.
- Cats as domesticated animals are preferred to be castrated for reducing the risk of inter-cat aggression which usually occurs among the members of same intact gender.
- The inter-cat fight aggravates in the mating season that is not only dangerous for them but also causes much uneasiness and disturbance for the family living in that house.
- If you get a cat from an animal shelter, it becomes your legal duty to get it castrated to prevent its further generation that may disturb the neighborhood.
- An additional benefit of castrating is that it will not start spraying urine everywhere on the floor.
- Besides the wild cats, another type of cats is the black footed cat. This type of cat is considered as the smallest cat in the world that measures almost 19 to 24 inches only as you can see in the cat pictures.
As there are a variety of cats around therefore it is difficult to say that the cat habitat is related to any particular circumstances, it all depends on the type of cat. Some types of cats like to reside in soothing warm and dry atmosphere while some like to live in jungles.
Most of the cats prefer to live in human households (the reason they take the name of “housecats”) as pets where they can find everything such as water, food, shelter, security and friendly atmosphere. As human beings are omnivorous animals, meat is the part of their routine diet and fatty component of meat is unhealthy for them, but the same is the favorite dish of housecats.
The cats (both wild and domestic) are considered as the most carnivorous mammal in the world as they always love to feed on meat and milk. They not only catch but also kill and eat mice, rats and other home pets that serve as their tasty and delicious diet. This proves to be a great advantage for the inhabitants of the home as they not only get rid of the unwanted creatures but also save them from chronic and fatal diseases, like plague that comes in contact with mice.
Cats are very friendly by nature except wild ones, and they prove to be the best pets and companions of their masters. With their fluffy bodies and lively temperament they always feel good to cuddle their masters.
The very basic thing that can be found in every cat is that they are sincere by nature. That is why, no matter how far they would be left, they have all the abilities to come back to their master’s place.